I've been selling BTC and LTC through craigslist, localbitcoin.com and litecoinlocal.org I always spend a lot of time with the new clients, especially if they are new to crypto. I will help them setup their wallets, show them how to use the exchanges, and most importantly, how to protect their coins.
I've built up a nice customer base, and I am now receiving phone calls from friends of clients. Some of these people are pretty well off, and they are willing to make large cash purchases. I have made some five figure sales of BTC, but only from repeat clients that I could trust.
On monday of this week, a new user of localbitcoin initiated a large buy from me (I only deal in cash, in person). While I had his personal information, I could not do a good verify on this person where I felt comfortable meeting him in a public place. I've called police stations before to see if they could facilitate a transaction, but most shy away from "large cash transactions", so I've never actually went through with a deal at a PD..
I was going to pass up on the sale, until I was in my Chase branch on Tuesday. I am on a first name basis with the manager, and I am in their very often. Tuesday, he happened to have been helping me and I brought up bitcoins to him, and he knew all about them. I told him the issue I had about transactions for cash, and sometimes I didn't feel safe.
His response was "Do your transactions here!!" Later that day, the purchaser agreed to meet me at the branch, and here is how it worked out:
- I showed up, signed in, and the manager asked me for the info of the other party.
- I was escorted to a meeting room, and given the password to the guest wifi network.
- I had my laptop on the desk, and had the QT software running.
- I hear a knock on the door, and the manager introduced me to the buyer.
- I counted out the money, and initiated the transaction.
- He was already knowledgeable in BTC, so there was no talk about security, etc, but we chatted about fiat, and precious metals.
- Verified the block chain, and the guy left.
- The manager sends a teller into the room to count the money, they initiate the deposit, and I leave with a deposit slip.
This was the easiest and safest transaction I've ever completed, and for those of you that have wondered where a safe place to handle transactions like this, check out your bank! I walked in with a laptop, and left with a cash deposit receipt. While the risk of being robbed was still there, the chances of somebody going into a bank to do such a thing would be very low.. I felt 100% comfortable, and not only did I not have the risk associated with the meeting, but I did not have any risk associated with driving around with a huge amount of fiat.
I know the tinfoil hats will freak out because the bank knows what I'm doing, but I do not care. It's safe and legal :)
I also am building a good crypto currency bond with my branch manager :)
TL:dr, the evil banking system catered to my BTC transaction.
edit: had a couple messages. I am not getting out of crypto, I move that money right back into the market with coinbase. I pay a 1% commission to buy, and anywhere from 25-10% commission on the sale, so I work off that margin. This is more of a hobby than a job. I would rather meet a guy off the street who doesn't know anything about crypto who wants to buy $100 worth, and teach him how it works than meet a business guy in a bank for a large sale. But it's hard to pass up that commission.
Submitted December 26, 2013 at 02:14PM by eurostylin
No comments:
Post a Comment